Tuesday, November 12, 2013

A Pin Cushion Gift


I usually get started making gifts and decorations for Christmas in October, and even with post-move cupboards still crying out for organisation (and the occasional box left still unpacked), I have made an earnest start.

Miss S's gift for Grandma, last Christmas

Miss S, my seven year-old is starting to take an interest in sewing and embroidery.  She is also obsessed with the winged heart motif and I find it doodled all over pieces of scrap paper everywhere in the house!

So, it was a logical progression to start a sewing kit for her for Christmas, and the design for this embroidered pin cushion was easy to choose.


I used an 18pt linen embroidery fabric in a shade of oatmeal and drew the design, tracing through a light-source from a print-out behind.  I used the same image as Mr Muck's birthday card (see post here).

I then filled in some areas with fabric paint (I use Pebeo fabric paints - just iron when they are dry and they're colourfast).  I then went over the outlines using a combination of split stitch and long-stitch embroidery.

Now to source the other parts of the kit...


5 comments:


  1. Thank you so much sweetie for your comment on my cupcake and pin cushion :) I first painted the tin with gesso and then i applied 2 coats of paint over it...it doesn't peel off like that hope this helps!!!! Hugz :) Rachel Brathen...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are looking for an inexpensive gift for your children's teachers or your co-workers that you would like to acknowledge during this time of year, Christmas gift ideas for girlfriends

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually get started making gifts and decorations for Christmas in October, and even with post-move cupboards still crying out for organisation (and the occasional box left still unpacked), I have made an earnest start.
    web developer designer vancouver ,
    web development in vancouver ,

    ReplyDelete

Hi,

Thanks so much for your comments - I really appreciate them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails