Thursday, November 4, 2010

Lightning McQueen Cake How-to... Part 2: Lightning McQueen!


Here are the step-by-step instructions for making and decorating the race car part of my Lightning McQueen cake.  For part one of the cake (how to make the race-track base), please click here.


I used a matchbox sized Lightning McQueen to work from.  I recommend using a toy to work from to help you get the right contours and proportions.  These would be difficult to get right from using just pictures.

To make and decorate the car, you will need:

* 1 layer cake measuring around 35 x 26cm, and around 4cm high.  Click here to view the recipe I used.  The metric version of this recipe is at the bottom of this post.
* 1 & 1/2 cups buttercream frosting.  (For my recipe, please refer to my previous post on the race-track base cake - the recipe is at the bottom).
* Sharp, non-serrated knife
* 250g red fondant
* Leftover black fondant from your race track base (approx 125g)
* 125g white fondant
* Rolling pin
* Cornflour/cornstarch, powdered sugar or Crisco/vegetable shortening for rolling out the fondant and preventing it from sticking to the bench.
* Pen, pencil, paper & ruler
* Small piece of stiff cardboard (for the spoiler)
* 2 toothpicks
* Fine paintbrush
* Black paste food colouring
* Alphabet cutters (if you want to put the child's name on the cake in fondant)

Making the car shape out of cake:



First, you need to determine how big you want the car to be.  I drew around my matchbox car and then enlarged this outline on the photocopier until it was the size I wanted.  My car was around 25cm long.

 

Place your cake on a large piece of parchment paper and place on top of a cutting board.  Cut out the car outline from the piece of paper and place on the cake. Cut around with your knife.  Set all the leftover cake aside.


First crumb coat the car base (as you will have exposed edges). Then frost this car base with a reasonably generous amount of your buttercream.


To build the roof part, place your car shaped piece of paper back on the leftover cake and make two marks with your knife either side, just behind the front tyres.


Your first cut will be the windscreen.  Angle your knife to create the downward slope of the windscreen and cut between your two knife marks.  Cut the sides and cut downwards for the roof slope.  Refer to your "model" as you go, to get the contours right.  I ended up shaving a little bit more off here and there to get the shape I wanted.


Transfer this roof to the car and frost it in your buttercream.

 

Next up are the contours on the bonnet of the car.  Cut two, long, tear-drop like shapes and place them on top.  You can squish them a little bit with your fingers to round them off.  Frost them.


That is the basic car shape completed.  Now for the fondant and all those decals!

Decorating the car:

Begin with draping your car form with red fondant.  Roll out your fondant on a dusted surface until it is around 2mm thick.  Make sure you have enough fondant to cover the car in one go.  As I said in my previous post about creating the race track base, don't worry about the dust left by powdered sugar or cornstarch as this gets absorbed by the fondant and will  disappear overnight.


Transfer the fondant to the car by wrapping it a little around a rolling pin.

At this point I started squealing with delight and my husband came running into the kitchen...  I was like a little kid "look what I made!  I made a car!!!"

Let the fondant sit for a while on top of the car, don't force it into shape.  If you have any large air pockets under the fondant you can pop them with a sterile pin.  Rub your fingers, dipped in a little cornstarch, gently over the car's contours, gathering it in around the bottom of the car.


Once you are happy with the way the fondant looks, trim the excess fondant from around the bottom of the car.


Now for the details:


Next make some indents on the bonnet and windscreen, as shown, with a knife.  Don't cut all the way through the fondant.



Roll out a small amount of white fondant and cut the eyes out.  Hold them up to the windscreen of the car to see if they look right.  Trim them if necessary, then brush the reverse side with a little water and stick them down.


Make indents for the side windows as you did for the bonnet and windscreen.  Hold up a small piece of paper and copy the shape of the outline onto paper.  Cut this out.



Roll out some black fondant and cut around your window.  Chop it in half, using your model as a guide, and stick the windows on with a little water.


Mix a tiny bit of white and black fondant together to make little rivets for the bonnet, and "glue" them on with a little bit of water.


Indent the roof as shown, then cut four strips of black fondant and stick them down.


Cut the mouth out, exposing the buttercream underneath.


Roll a thin sausage of white fondant and poke it into the mouth cavity, trimming off the excess.


To paint the eyes, mix a little blue food colouring paste with some vodka, rejuvenating spirit (a type of alcohol that is used for cake decorating purposes, available at cake decorating stores) until you get the desired shade.


Practice on some scraps of fondant first.  Paint two circles of blue, using your model as a guide.


Once dry, paint two black irises and then outline in black.  You could use an edible pen for this outline also.  I used a dark brown edible pen because that was what I had lying around.


Now for the wheels.  You can make the wheels several ways.  One way is to make them entirely out of black fondant.  In all honesty, if I had my time to do again, this is what I would do as the wheels I made (circles of cake covered with fondant and then inserted into the tyre arches), looked good but lacked "structural integrity".  They began to look a little "flat" after the main body of the car weighed down on them.

 

Here's how I made mine anyway.  I cut four wheel arches out of the cake with a cookie cutter.


Then I cut four little circles out of cake, using the same cutter, and frosted them with a little buttercream.


Then I rolled out some black fondant and covered each one, trimming away the excess.


Then I took a smaller cutter and cut away the middle of each tyre.


I then mixed a little red and black fondant to make a maroon colour and cut out a circle using the same cutter as the previous step.  I stuck it down, then used a slightly smaller cookie cutter to make a round indent.  Then I used the dark brown edible pen to draw a dot in the middle and around the indent.

I put a little buttercream in the wheel arch and squished the wheels in to the cake.


The other (and easiest) way you could do it is to cut out the wheels as above, and insert a circle of black fondant in the place of the red circle you remove.


For the spoiler, cut a rectangle of cardboard just slightly smaller than the width of your car's rear.  Push it down into the car until it reaches the bottom.  Make a mark on the part that is sticking out to indicate your desired height.  Pull the cardboard out again gently.


Cut the spoiler out with slightly curved corners as shown.


Cover the top part of the spoiler that will stick out, in red fondant.  Paint the reverse side of the fondant with a little water to help it stick to the cardboard.


Push the spoiler down into the car.  If it looks unstable you could prop it up with a couple of toothpicks.

Once you have done the spoiler, the rest is all decoration.  Decide how detailed you'd like the rest of the car to be.  I simplified my car down to just a few decals - the brown circle on the bonnet, the lightning on the sides (after all, what would Lightning McQueen be without the lightning?), and the writing on the roof.


To make the number "95" for the roof (or like me, the name and age of the birthday boy), paint some white fondant with red, that graduates into orange and then into yellow.


Cut out with alphabet cutters.  I also outlined mine in dark brown which I applied with a fine paintbrush. Stick down to the cake with a little water.


For the lightning (sorry my photos of this didn't turn out), hold up some paper to the side of the car and draw the lightning freehand using your model as a guide.  Cut this out and hold it up against the car again.  If it looks right, use it to cut out one side, turn your template over and use it to cut out the other side.  Stick down to the cake with a little water and make a black outline if you like.


Mix a little black fondant with some red and yellow to make a brown and cut a circle out for the bonnet decal.  I also outlined this in some dark brown.  I didn't attempt the word "Rust-eze", as it was already midnight and, well, I couldn't figure out how to do it. :)


I jotted the headlights onto a piece of paper and once I cut them out I held them up to the car to see if they looked right.  I then cut them out of white fondant using this template and painted them free-hand.  You could leave them plain white or make them from black fondant if you don't want to paint them.

Transferring the car to the race-track base:

I have to admit I freaked out at this point!  I used the parchment (baking) paper and slid the cake off the chopping board onto the cake.  I then used a very sharp knife to cut around the bottom of the cake and took away the parchment paper that was showing.  If you do this, you should probably warn whoever is cutting the cake that there is parchment paper just so no one gets a nasty surprise in their piece!

I think that's it!  If you have any questions, please let me know.  Leave a comment below and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

------

White Layer Cake recipe (metric)

250g plain (cake) flour, sifted
200g granulated sugar
3.5 tsps baking powder
0.5 tsp salt
120g butter, softened
180ml milk
1.5 tsp vanilla extract/ essence
4 egg whites at room temperature

Method:

Preheat oven to 175 degrees celcius. Grease and flour two 22cm round layer cake pans and line the bottoms with waxed paper; set aside. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large mixer bowl. Add butter, milk and vanilla.
Beat on slow speed until blended. Then beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, occasionally scraping down the sides of the bowl. Add unbeaten egg whites (yes, UNbeaten - that's the trick), and beat two minutes longer at medium speed.
Pour batter into prepared pans and bake at 175 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes or until cake is light golden brown and is beginning to pull away from the sides of the pan. Cool 15 minutes in pans, then carefully remove layers from pans and cool completely on wire rack.
Fill and frost with your favorite frosting.

64 comments:

  1. hi just want to thnk you for sharing! i used your ideas and adapted them to suite me, and created a LMQ cake for my sons 3rd b'day! It turned out pretty well, i'd like to think!! He loved it, so much so that he didn;t want to cut it! i will be following your blog! It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by and letting me know you enjoyed and used the post! I'm glad it was helpful and that your son was so happy with the result - in all my cake making I've never seen any child reluctant to cut a cake, so your must have really been something! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! You're so good at what you do! Keep it up! My boy, Toby is having his 3rd birthday party in 5 days and I have no idea how to make a Mc Queen cake until I came across your site! Hopefully I'd be successful on my little adventure! ;-) Thanks again! You've been such a HUGE help!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry it's me again! Just a quick question, with the red fondant, can you buy that in that color or do you have to put a red coloring on it? Would a red food dye work or something stronger? Cos you know how when you use red coloring, it doesn't really turn out red but more pinkish. I was just wondering how to go about that! Thank you!!!

    Mara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mara,

    I'm glad my tutorial will be of some help to you. :) To answer your question about the fondant, I would try first to get pre-tinted red fondant if possible. Good cake decorating shops will supply it, or you can have a look and see if you can order some online (I'm not sure where you are living, so I can't recommend any retailers by name).

    If you go down the route of tinting your own fondant, use a red food colouring paste (not a liquid food colouring). You will need a lot of colouring so buy a largish pot. Use a toothpick to wipe some of the colouring on to the fondant, knead the colour through and keep adding more, and kneading more. It's a bit of a long process as red is one of the hardest colours to achieve (as you said, it goes pink if you don't use enough!)

    Good luck with your cake! - I hope you enjoy making it and that Toby loves it too!

    LM x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,

    Your cake looks fantastic! I need to make one for my cousin's birthday party and I was wondering if you could email me a copy of the stencil you used to shape the cake? Also, what kind of cake pan did you use for the base cake? :) Really hope you could help me! Thanks in advance!

    Cheers,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joan,

    I'm so sorry, the stencil I used is long gone :(. I actually photocopied the matchbox Lightning McQueen that I had and blew it up to the right size to create that template... If you have access to a photocopier perhaps you could try that, or else, if you have a lightning McQueen car that is the size you want the cake to be, you could draw around it onto a piece of paper or card and make the template.

    I used a non-stick teflon-coated roasting pan (that I only use for cakes so it's always nice and clean) for baking the base cake and the cake for the car part.
    A nice roasting dish can make really good layer cakes in my opinion!

    Thanks for stopping by, and if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, the photocopier is a great idea! I'll be making a trial of the car this week. Wish me luck! Will send you a photo if I'm successful! Haha thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did it! Haha Please check out my blog to see. :) Thank you thank you for the instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh you are incredibly talented!! Thank you for the terrific ideas! My daughter wants to have a pink race car theme for her 4th birthday and all of your pictures and instruction have been a tremendous help! Thank you so much and keep up the wonderful work!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Joan - I visited your site and left a comment :) You must be so pleased with what you have done and it was only a trial run! Amazing!

    Thanks Amy G, adapting this for a girl would be super easy and really cute... I'm sure your daughter will be thrilled with the results! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, thanks so much for this step by step guide! Its really helped me tackle this for my sons pending 4th birthday. One question i want to ask, is how long did this all take, as i need to plan time wise?? Can you do it in stages? and keep overnight etc..or is it just best to do in one whole day before party etc? Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi,

    Sorry for the delay in replying - I have been out of the country for the last few days :)

    I completed the cake in three nights - first night I baked the cakes, second night I iced the race-track and third night, I did the car. You can make and freeze the two layer cakes weeks in advance if you like.

    I should add that the two decorating nights were reasonably late nights :).

    Thanks for stopping by, good luck with your cake!

    LM x

    ReplyDelete
  14. My little guy's birthday is next week and I really wanted to do something impressive. So, I am going to give this cake a shot. I haven't done anything so ambitious before. I hope it works out for me! Thanks so much for sharing your instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want to say Thank you very much for sharing and takes the time to take pictures on each steps. Very much appreciated. I have been wanting to make car cake for my son, yours helps me lot..I can't thank you enough :))

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for your step by step instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for the tutorial. I need to make this cake for my nephew's birthday. First time carving a cake:) I know you used a roasting pan to bake the cake. Do you think a 9 x 13 pan or a 12 x 16 would work? Thanks. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi - I think a 9 x 13 pan would be perfect :)

    LM x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ciao, volevo farti i complimenti perchè sei bravissima...mi sono appena iscritta al tuo blog!!!
    Passa a trovarmi
    www.sugarclo.blogspot.com
    Clo

    ReplyDelete
  20. that is amazing!! wanna know what if I want to make an entirely chocolate cake.. without using buttercream n fondant?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, I am hoping to make this cake for my son's 5th birthday. Can I check a few things with you.

    1. In the recipie for the layer cake it has measurements in 'cups' can you provide pounds and ounces or killogramms for each ingredient?

    2. Also for the amount of buttercream icing needed to cover the cake, you mention an amount in cups-again, could you say how much of the Buttercream Icing recipie to use?

    3. What does 'crumb coat the car base' mean? Sorry if that's obvious!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      1. I will convert the cake recipe into metric (I'm a metric girl myself), and post it below shortly.

      2. I'd say that you would easily use one whole lot of the buttercream recipe for the base and the car, maybe more, depending on how thick you like the icing to be.

      3. A crumb coat is a thin, almost transparent layer of icing applied to a cake to seal in the crumbs so that they don't get in to the top layer of icing. It is usually then refrigerated for 30 minutes before the top layer of icing is applied. I have a picture of my crumb-coated Hello kitty cake in this post here:

      http://www.themuckymacbook.com/2010/06/party-cake-how-to.html

      Or you can go and watch this video on crumb-coating on You tube:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCEV5bCJBEU

      Hope that helps

      LM :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that! I appreciate you converting the recipe to metric, great help!

      Delete
  22. p.s. Sorry me again...soon to try to make this for my 5 year old son's party!.....

    In the recipie for the Layer Cake-

    4. What is 'Cake Flour'? Is it self-raising flour? or plain flour?

    5. And also what kind of sugar is the recipie for-is it Caster Sugar or Granulated Sugar?

    Thanks!.....again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again...

      To answer the questions above:

      4. Cake Flour is plain, all purpose flour, the type you would use for cakes, scones etc - as opposed to bread flour, or high-grade flour which you would use for bread making. "Cake Flour" is the American term.

      5. Definitely granulated sugar, ordinary table sugar.

      It's a pleasure to answer your questions, I hope I've been of some help. Good luck with your mission!

      LM :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for letting me know about the sugar.

      In relation to the flour, I understand that it isn't bread flour, can I just check again if it should be plain flour or self-raising flour?

      The self raising flour has calcium phosphates and sodium carbonates in it to help the mixture to raise. Normally plain flour is used for scones but some cake recipes ask for plain and some ask for self-raising flour....hence my confusion!
      Sorry!

      Delete
    3. Hi,

      Yes, to confirm, plain (cake) flour contains no raising agents at all and this is the kind of flour that is called for in this recipe.

      LM :)

      Delete
  23. Thanks for clarifying that.

    I'll look forward to reading the metric conversion of the cake mixture and then I'll go and buy what I need to get started!
    This is definately the most chalenging cake I've attempted so far! Gulp!
    Thanks for your help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi - the metric recipe is up - I have put it at the very bottom of this post.

      LM

      Delete
    2. You are a star! I had missed it as I was looking for it in the comments section! Thanks

      Delete
  24. Hello, thanks so much for this blog - this is an amazing cake! I have my cakes in the freezer now.

    Just wondering, if I ice the track, can the cake still be a little cold and thawing from the freezer? Or does it need to be room temperature and dry? And once the track is done, do i refrigerate it or keep in under plastic wrap at room temp?
    Thanks so much! sorry for all the Qs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caroline,

      You can indeed frost your cakes with buttercream whilst the cakes are cold from the fridge or freezer - in fact, when cutting the cake for the "car" part of this cake, a partially frozen or chilled cake will result in less crumbs.

      The only thing you have to watch for (and thanks to Tanya below for also pointing out) you must never freeze, refrigerate or completely seal with cling film, a cake that is covered in fondant. Fondant has a nature to it - it needs to breathe and doesn't cope with moisture at all well, and will sweat if not allowed to breathe.

      When keeping a fondant covered cake, I would cover it loosely with clingfilm or a piece of light fabric- just to keep the dust and bugs off.

      So in summary - you can frost cold cakes with your buttercream "undercoat", but when it comes to fondant I'd make sure the cake is at room temperature.

      Hope that helps. Thanks for visiting my site and I hope the cake works out well for you!

      LM x

      Delete
  25. Let it thaw fully before you put it near sugarpaste (fondant)as the paste will hold the moisture in and don't put clingfilm on or it may sweat, put it in a box or just a clean teatowel over it then put it somewhere cool but not the fridge (moisture again)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tanya,

      You are so right. I can remember the first time, many moons ago, I refrigerated something covered in fondant - complete disaster! I have since learned that fondant needs to be treated a certain way - it's a bit temperamental at times, but I couldn't live without it!

      Thanks for dropping by!

      LM x

      Delete
  26. Thanks for converting the recipe into metric and answering my questions, the cake turned out well and our son was delighted! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear - glad the conversion was accurate!

      LM x

      Delete
  27. Hi, I love what you have done here! How do you make your fondant icing?
    Do you used glucose and egg white?
    I also live in Switzerland and was wondering what liquid glucose was called in french or german? I have just tried with glycerin and had to chuck it all away....
    Thanks.
    Kam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kam,

      I'm afraid I can't be of much help to you as I have never made my own fondant. I always buy mine from www.back-art.ch.

      As for liquid glucose I once bought some from the Migros. The brand name was Sucrisse and it was with all the other sugars, packaged in a squeezy bottle. I think it had "Flussigzucker" on the label ("liquid sugar").

      One day I will try to make my own fondant but for now having it delivered to the house is so much easier :).

      You can make fondant out of melted marshmallows too, here's a sample recipe:

      http://www.food.com/recipe/marshmallow-fondant-255227

      If you need to find the mini marshmallows that the recipe calls for, you can buy them at a Cindys Diner (the Diners on the motorway - they all have a small "American" goods stand in their stores.

      Good luck - if you have any more questions, let me know.

      LM :)

      Delete
    2. Hi - just found glucose online here in CH -on American Food Ave:

      http://www.afoodave.ch/catalogsearch/result/?q=glucose

      LM x

      Delete
  28. Hi I'm going to attempt to make this fab cake but I'm a be concerned as I live in a very hot country is there any way I can stop the fondant from melting? I was thinking to sit under my air con unit while I do I'm just worried soon as I put it on its going to melt any tips?
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo,

      Sorry for the late reply. I think air conditioning should do it. Just try to keep it as cool as possible, but definitely don't refrigerate it as fondant can turn quite nasty when it is refrigerated.

      Believe it or not it can get to be very hot in Switzerland here (37 deg celcius) and I often have issues with buttercream in the heat, but not so much with fondant, although it will have a softer texture in the warmer weather. Just be sure not to roll the fondant out too thin - I think this is especially important in the heat.

      Good luck!

      Delete
  29. Hi, i'm going to try make this fab cake for my little sisters 4th birthday. although i might add some stuff in of my own.(i'm 12 years old) my sister specifically wanted a car cake and i looked at tuns of car websites, but this one was the best out of all of them.
    thanx :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tazz,

      So glad you like the post. I think your little sister is very lucky to have a big sister make her cake :). I'm sure the extras you add to it will make it even better and more personal. Good luck with your baking and decorating!

      LM x

      Delete
  30. Hi, this is such a great step by step tutorial especially for someone that has never done this before. I am planning on making this cake for our son's 2nd birthday and I'm hoping to make it beforehand just in case it doesn't go to plan. I have read above that you are not able to freeze the cake with fondant, how long will the cake keep once fully completed? I was hoping to make it in the next couple of weeks and the birthday party is at the end of September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mina,

      Glad you will be able to use the tutorial and I hope it all goes well! To answer your question, once the cake is iced, (and depending on the kind of cake you made it from), it should be eaten within two days. You can't really make this kind of cake too far ahead of time (although you can bake the cakes and freeze them, undecorated, of course).

      Hope that answers your question. Let me know if you need anything else.

      LM x

      Delete
  31. Wow! Best tutorial ever :) I will attempt this for my son's 2nd Birthday! Thank You for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Lady Muck,
    I just wanted to thank you for your tutorial. I`ve never made a cake like this before, but tomorrow my daughter will be the lucky recipient of a 3D lightening McQueen cake that actually LOOKS like Lightening!
    Thanks again
    Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alice,

      So glad the tutorial was helpful to you! Thanks for your comment. Happy birthday to your daughter :)

      LM x

      Delete
  33. Thanks for the guidance & ideas! I just made stage one of the cake (road) and put a few toy cars on top - including Lightning mcqueen - and my son was well chuffed (he is now 6!). One of his friends at the party said the cake was amazing - so thanks. Putting on the toy cars was cheating a bit - but I just left it too late and wasn't sure if I could do a whole car!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  34. hi thanks for sharing the mcqueen cake....its simply amazing....planning to do a mcqueen cake for my son's 4th b'day and that is day after tommorow...jus wanted to know whether to make 2 sheets cakes jus for the mcqueen ...also wanted to know to use the same recipie for making a sheet cake....read ur recipie it says round cake tht's why....can u pls guide me...thanks for ur time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      Thanks for your comment. If you are making just the car, not the race-car base, you only need one cake, ie: one times the recipe provided. The recipe calls for the cake to be made in a round tin, but you can make it in any shaped tin. A "sheet" cake is just the name we give to a rectangular, flat cake.

      Hope that helps! Happy birthday to your son (mine is also about to turn 4). Happy baking and decorating.

      LM x

      Delete
  35. Hi,
    Thanks so much for this tutorial. I made a LM cake for my son's 3rd birthday last week. I previously have made a Thomas and a Fireman Sam cake for him but from books with step by step instructions... this time I did it alone (with the help of your wonderful blog of course).
    I'll be posting my own experiences soon at http://mummyscreativecorner.wordpress.com/ - hopefully you might take a look in between everything else you have to do ;)
    I'm also going to give your felt play mats a go when I get a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I will be trying this out this weekend with a few of my own twists. I'm pretty excited and will share my results. =]

    ReplyDelete
  37. I had a lot of fun making my own version of this cake for a friend of mines son. I didn't use the same recipes just the idea. On mine Lightning McQueen Was a banana cake and the race track part was chocolate. He was shaped slightly differently on the back end. He was cute and everyone loved him. Thank you for sharing this post. =]

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Lady Muck,

    Please offer your thoughts on timelines here. I understand that cake can be baked in advance, and then frozen, correct? How far in advance could it be frosted (with buttercream frosting), assuming that it would then be refrigerated? And then, how far in advance could I put fondant on it? I'm assuming that since it cannot be refrigerated at that point, it should still last a day at room temperature, correct? Or do you have other thoughts? Also, how far in advance can butter-cream and fondant be made? I'm assuming that fondant cannot be refrigerated at all, or can it? My son's 3rd b-day party is coming up in a few days and I would LOVE to do as much as possible in advance. Thank you for all the step-by-step instructions!!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi!
    Just want to say thank you- I live in Palestine, and today a cousin called because she wanted to make a car cake for her son's birthday, and wanted me to find a recipe for her, the catch being she doesn't speak any English. Thanks to your pictures every step of the way, she was able to make a brilliant car cake just like yours, and her son was very very happy! So thank you for the clear instructions and of course the great recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hiya I plan on making this cake for my little boys birthday! Ur blog has given me the confidence to give it a go. Do u know roughly the sizes of the add ons, the lightening stripesand headlights etc please? I work in a bakery and im able to get these made up of icing but not sure what size to do. I plan on using 1 roasting tin 9x13 like u did and having the cake about 25cm long. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi, i'm from Holland.
    Thanks for the how to.
    Do I understand it right that you take for the 35x26x4 cm sheet the same amount ingredients as for two 22cm round layer cake pans? And the cook time is the same?

    ReplyDelete
  42. I just wanted to say thank you so much for this. I didn't have any fondent so it was all done with chocolate truffle icing and I personally think it turned out awesome!! You are an absolute treasure for posting this and I sincerely thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi thanks for the tutorial. I made this cake today for my nephew. However as my first attempt didnt come out perfect but he liked it anyway. As my cake was just cooled when i put the buttercream on there were a lot of crumbs and i should of added more milk to the buttercream as it was too thick for me to use. I am new to it. I followed the cake recipe but my cake came out flat?maybe the tin too big. So tried again doubled the ingredients used self raising flour and the whole egg was much better almost 4cm high. And very tasty.

    thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  44. I am really find out a nice post.Logan was apparently putting herself in timeout for some unknown reason, so Trystan had come over to investigate. Apple Laptop Stickers

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hi! Here is a Great Blog You Might Find Interesting.Find All Macbook Pro Stickers, Macbook Air Stickers here. Macbook Decals

    ReplyDelete
  46. Fantastic comments , Coincidentally , if someone is searching for a IRS 706 , my company filled a sample document here california association of realtors rental form.

    ReplyDelete

Hi,

Thanks so much for your comments - I really appreciate them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails