Friday, May 27, 2011

Appliqued Toadstool Onsie...


My very dear friend George is having a baby sometime in the next couple of weeks and I wanted to send something for the baby in a newborn size.

Not knowing if the baby is a boy or girl yet, I chose to applique a kimono-style onsie with this toadstool design.


I drew the toadstool pattern (still obsessing about toadstools!)  on to some paper and cut it out, then used it to cut out the pieces from fabric. I appliqued the pieces to the onsie using hand applique (you could machine applique this easily too).


I also made a little tag using the same applique pattern to cut out the toadstool from fabric and glue-stick to stick all the pieces down to a small piece of light cardboard.

If you want to know some more about hand applique there are some great tutorials around on Youtube and on other blogs.  Here are a couple of videos from Youtube that show the method I use - the needle turn method.  There are other methods around including one which uses freezer paper and spray starch, which I am going to try.

I want to wish my friend Georgie a safe and swift delivery and I can't wait to hear if the baby is a girl or boy - I have some other crafty plans in store for him or her :).

LM x



2 comments:

  1. Love your toadstool! I have been thinking of doing some appliqing next, as I have never attempted it as yet. I have just brought some iron on fusing stuff to use, so will give a whirl when it comes. Great nametag too!

    ReplyDelete

Hi,

Thanks so much for your comments - I really appreciate them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails