Wednesday, September 8, 2010

In the Slow Cooker: Thai Curry Pumpkin Soup...

Autumn is here and I have a secret.  I love it.  Even more than summer.  There, I said it!  I love the fresh apples, pumpkins, the changing trees, the crispness of the air and the decadent cosiness of extra blankets.  Also it helps that autumn in Zurich is just unbelievably beautiful.

Oh my gourd... pumpkin perfection!

So I thought in celebration of the season of "mists and mellow fruitfulness", I would share one of my favourite slow cooker soup recipes.

These tiny pumpkins won't be eaten, but I am determined to make something decorative out of them!

I developed this recipe during one long winter when Miss S was a little baby and we lived in a teeny cold house on a very tight budget.  It's warming, flavoursome, easy to make, and has a little exotic twist which makes it special.


Thai Curry Pumpkin Soup
Serves 8+

1.8 - 2 kgs (4 - 4.5 lbs) pumpkin
2 tbs olive oil
2 medium onions, finely chopped
1-2 tbs Thai green curry paste (to your taste and depending on the heat of your paste)
2 tbs sweet chilli sauce
2 -3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbs grated fresh ginger
1 heaped tsp dried basil
1.5 litres (6 cups) liquid chicken stock (fresh or made up from cubes/powder. Vegetable stock is also good if you prefer.  Note for vegetarians below*)
250mls (1 cup) coconut cream
1 - 3 tbs fish sauce
Fresh basil or coriander for garnishing (optional)



Peel and de-seed your pumpkin and chop into 2cm (1 inch) cubes.  (I like to deseed my pumpkin with an icecream scoop, but that's just me).  Place cubes in the bowl of your slow cooker.


Heat the olive oil in a pan over a medium/high heat.  Add the curry paste, chilli sauce, garlic, basil and ginger and stir to heat until fragrant and sizzling a little, about two minutes.


Add the chopped onions and reduce the heat a little.  With the lid on your frypan, cook the onions slowly until transparent, stirring occasionally.

Tip the cooked onions into the slow cooker bowl.

I added a few peeled and chopped carrots today as I had some to use up.  That's one of the great things about this recipe, you can add a few extras and play around with it a bit.

Pour over the stock and stir.


Cook on a low temperature until the pumpkin is fully cooked and tender.  This will take 3 - 7 hours, depending on your slow cooker.  It doesn't matter if you leave it cooking a bit longer.  You can cook on high for 3 - 4 hours if time is short.

Once the pumpkin is cooked, remove one cup of the stock and set aside.  You can use this to adjust the texture of the soup once it is all whizzed up.


Using a stick mixer, process the soup until smooth.  Add the coconut cream and the stock you set aside, if you want to adjust the texture.  I think this soup is nice quite runny as it is not supposed to be a traditional thick pumpkin soup.

Reserve a little of the coconut cream if you would like to use it for serving, as below.

Adjust the seasonings by adding more fish sauce if you like it a bit more salty. You could also stir through a little extra curry paste at this stage if you feel it needs it.


Garnish with fresh basil and a drizzle of coconut cream.

Serve with toasted baguette or Roti.  This soup freezes really well so leftovers can be consumed at a later date.

Mmmmmmmm... tastes like autumn.

* Note for vegetarians.  This soup can be made vegetarian easily by substituting the chicken stock for vegetable, and by replacing the fish sauce with either a vegetarian fish sauce (available at some vietnamese and thai food stores), or just with salt.

9 comments:

  1. Makes me think I need to go to Juckers....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I hope to go with the kids tomorrow... Might have to do a little post on it here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Yum! This looks absolutely delicious! To tell you the truth, I have had those cupcakes from your banner in my head ALL week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm.... Off to supermarket for pumpkin. In the mood for good soup today & after looking at your Junkers post I'm all "in the mood" for pumpkin. Got some left over roasted pumpkin from last nights chicken too.... Scrum-diddly-umptious!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found this through google looking for exactly this sort of recipe. So good, I've made it twice in two weeks! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kate,

    Thanks for stopping by and commenting... so glad that you like the recipe. It's always nice to hear when people have used one of your recipes and it's worked out!

    LM x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have made it too and it's great. I had to use acorn/butternut squash due to lack of pumpkin but I appreciate you posting the recipe! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Had friends for dinner and one bloke lent back in his chair and said: "That is the best soup I have ever had in my life."

    Thank you for giving us this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Made this today, but added (briefly) a kaffir lime leaf and a lemongrass stick. Took them out after an hour or so as they smelt so strong I didn't want to over power it. Also only added 1 tbsp green curry paste as ours is a bit too hot. Don't have a stick blender, so just mashed veggies when cooked and added only a drizzle of coconut cream. Delicious! Would probably try without the lime next time, but really enjoyed - thanks for the great recipe :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi,

Thanks so much for your comments - I really appreciate them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails