Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Easiest Cupcake...


Tomorrow we are going to a party that starts in the afternoon so the kids can be a part of the festivities.  I offered to make some cupcakes to bring for the kid's afternoon tea because secretly I know that nothing could be more simple to make and more delicious than these particular cupcakes.


I collect "put everything in a bowl and whizz it up"-type recipes because although I love a challenge sometimes, most of the time I'm looking for this recipe trifecta - easy, quick & no-fail.


This recipe is it.  Only six ingredients, quick to whip up, and plenty of ways to elaborate to make something a bit special, should you like.  Although, in my opinion, these are pretty special just as they are.


So, here is the recipe:

Vanilla Cupcakes
(Makes 18)

225g (8oz) softened, unsalted butter
225g (8oz) castor sugar
225g (8oz) self-raising flour (or 225g plain (cake) flour, with 1.5tsps baking powder added)
1 tsp baking powder
1 (5ml) tsp vanilla extract
4 eggs

Preheat oven to 175 degrees celcius.

Put all ingredients in the bowl of your mixer, (or any large bowl if you are using electric beaters), and beat until light and fluffy.

Spoon heaped tablespoons of mixture into patty pans and bake for 20 minutes until just a little brown around the top edges.


Allow to cool for a few minutes in the tin, then let them cool on a wire rack.

Ice and decorate as desired.


You could make variations on this recipe quite easily.  Sift a few tablespoons of cocoa into the mixture to make them chocolatey, or use any other essences in place of vanilla.  Also, the rind of a lemon or orange, grated into the mixture, along with a tsp or so of the juice would make a very nice citrus cupcake.

These keep in an airtight container for 3 days, or you can freeze them un-iced for a couple of weeks.

I'll decorate these ones tomorrow and I'll be sure to post some more pics of that!

---------

Update as at 6th August....  Click here to see them all decorated up!

6 comments:

  1. Being the American that just has "flour" in ingredient lists, I have to ask: What exactly is "self-raising flour" and where would one find it here in Switzerland?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!

    Self-raising flour is plain (cake) flour that has some raising agents added. You actually can't buy it here in Switzerland in the supermarket, you have to buy it online at britshop.ch. I have however made this particular recipe without SR flour on many occasions.

    My mum showed me many moons ago how to make my own self-raising flour by adding a tsp of baking powder to every cup of plain flour. So for this recipe, I would use plain flour and use a total of 2.5 tsps of baking powder.

    Hope that helps! I will amend the recipe above so that it shows the alternative to SR flour.

    LM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I thought it might be a "Brit" thing. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so funny, writing this blog I often have to consult my British and American friends with questions like "what's American for 'cling film'?" :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you add cocoa does that taste as well as vanilla. These look tasty though! http://virginiabeachcakes.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mark, I would add cocoa *and* vanilla to make these chocolate ones - perhaps 2 -3 tbs of cocoa - and yes, they do taste good with the cocoa added. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi,

Thanks so much for your comments - I really appreciate them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails