Sunday, August 14, 2011

Baby Shower Gift...


It was one of my new year's resolutions to hand-make as many gifts as possible.  I was especially excited this week to be able to make some things for a baby girl.  In my little expat circle here (and at home too), every baby born in the last two years has been a boy, and while I relish the greys, blues and greens I have to admit I was excited to go and purchase my first ball of pink wool in two years!

All the items I have made I have patterns or links available for, and all are relatively simple.


I knitted this very simple "baby's first ball" using this free pattern.  It has a little bell inside for a bit of extra fun. You can modify the pattern to include stripes, change the colours out, use larger needles and thicker wool for a bigger ball - it's a very adaptable pattern, perfect for beginners.

If you place a bell straight into the stuffing, the stuffing will muffle the sound.  My tip is to get one of those yellow egg-shaped inners that come in a Kinder Surprise and put the bell in that.  All credit to my husband for solving that problem for me!


You might recognise this little hat from one of my previous posts.  Because the baby I will be knitting this for will be born in August, I decided to knit this one in the next size up, so it would be useful for the coming autumn/ winter.  If anyone would like the specs for the 3-6 month size, or instructions on how to knit the flower let me know and I will post them.


I was able to pour over my extensive pinkalicious stash of fabrics and choose something to applique a kimono onsie.  I settled on a simple cupcake design, and used the template from my cafe felt mats (click here for the template).  I used the needle turn method which I talk about in this post.  Also included in that post are some videos from Youtube showing how to do the needle turn method.

I hope my friend enjoys the surprise shower, and all the fun things we have planned for her.  :)

3 comments:

  1. This site is amazing. Thank you for sharing your talents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have the 3 to 6 month size for the hat (and mitts, if you have it)! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi HJM, :)

      The pattern for the 3-6 month size hat is in the comments section of the original post mentioned above:

      http://www.themuckymacbook.com/2011/01/knitting-for-newborns-simple-hat-and.html

      I don't have the pattern for the mitts in that size - I would have to work it out and I don't think I am going to have time to do it. Here is a good pattern to use in the meantime:

      http://malinkan.blogspot.ch/2007/11/baby-mittens.html

      You could substitute the rib in this pattern for the seed stitch if you want to, so that it matches the hat.

      Thanks for visiting my site. I hope your knitting works out well.

      LM x

      Delete

Hi,

Thanks so much for your comments - I really appreciate them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails