Sunday, July 11, 2010

Mmmmmmmm.... Bread.


It's currently 34˚C (93˚F) here in Zurich, and about 110% humidity and I don't know what has possessed me to suddenly bake some bread.

It's just that ever since my beloved Kitchenaid "Kitty" came into my life I have had this burning desire to become one of those mums who bakes her own wholesome bread daily.  Actually it's always been a dream of mine, but when you hardly have time to shower, mixing, kneading and proofing dough seems a little frivolous.

My kids have the right idea in this heat...

But then I stumbled on a recipe for "Rapid Mix Cool Rise Bread".  This is basically a "chuck everything in your Kitchenaid and mix it up then put it in your fridge for a bit then bake" kind of recipe.  And that's my kind of recipe.  It's a great everyday loaf, makes nice sandwiches and really yummy toast, and most importantly, it makes two good-sized loaves.  I'm sure I'll experiment with adding some more healthy ingredients later, but for now it's white bread, like Mr Muck and the little Mucks like it.

So here it is:

Kitchenaid Cool Rise White Bread
Makes 2 x 500g (1.1lb) loaves
* 5.5 cups Bread flour/ high grade flour*
* 2 tbs sugar
* 3 tsp salt
* 15g instant dry yeast (or enough for two 500g loaves depending on the brand you use - check the packet)
* 115g butter, softened
* 2 cups of water at around 40 - 45˚C (around 110-120˚F)
* 1/2 to 1 & 1/2 cups of extra flour

Attach a dough hook to your mixer.

Put the first 5 ingredients in the bowl and mix for half a minute.

With the mixer on low (speed 2 for Kitchenaids), slowly add the water until it is mixed in.  You will be left with a wet-ish pasty dough.

Now start adding the additional flour, 1/2 a cup at a time.  When the dough "cleans the bowl", stop adding flour.

Continue to mix/knead for another 2 minutes.

Cover with cling film and a clean tea towel and leave on the bench for 20 mins.

Risen dough - it should nearly double it's original size

Empty the dough onto a floured surface and cut in half.


Flatten the dough off with the palm of your hand (or a rolling pin) into a rectangle and roll it up.  Place both loaves in tins you've greased with a bit of butter.


Cover with cling film and place in your refrigerator for 2 - 12 hours.

This is after only 2 hours in the fridge...

Just before baking, leave the bread out on the bench for 10 minutes while your oven heats.  This is to return it to room temperature.  Brush it with milk before baking.

Bake at 35-40 minutes at 200˚C (400˚F).  It's done when it's a lovely brown colour and sounds hollow when you tap it.


Turn out of the tin straight away and enjoy!

Wish you could smell it...

Blueberry jam and butter just seemed so right...


* A note for my Switzerland-based friends.  I made this bread using Haushaltmehl the first time and it was awful!  I haven't found a good equivalent for high grade/bread flour here, so I purchased my high grade through www.britshop.ch.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, if I ever feel like cooking something (hasn't happened in 36 years yet, but you never know!) I'll pop on here and see what little tidbits you have on show.
    You always were a creative in the kitchen... the boys from Zephyr certainly benefited ;)

    fRAnkiE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Frankie - you have the dubious honor of being my first comment by a male! :).

    It was always a pleasure to feed my bandmates - you were a lot more enthusiastic and grateful than my current audience (ie: preschooler & toddler) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I have an even easier bread recipe for you!

    3 cups flour (I use wholemeal dinkel)
    1 packet yeast
    1 T sugar (or a bit less)
    3/4 T salt
    opt: throw any any mix of seeds (I usually use linseeds, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds, about 3/4 C in total)

    mix with a fork. add 1.5 C lukewarm water and mix well. the mix will be very wet so kind of scoop it up and dump it in a lined loaf tin, or silicon loaf tin, cover with a teatowel and leave to rise for 45 minutes. (sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired)

    preheat oven to 200 C and bake about 35-40 minutes (original recipe says 25 mins, but I think the seeds make it take longer to bake?). turn on to wire rack to cool before slicing.

    it's a great recipe to make with kids too, so easy!
    petraxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delicious - I love a good grainy bread. I'm going to get some dinkel flour today and try it out... thanks! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope it turned out well. Don't over-do the salt like I did today :(

    ReplyDelete

Hi,

Thanks so much for your comments - I really appreciate them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails